The Q1 2021 edition of Manpower Group’s Employment Outlook has been released. Employers in 34 of the 43 surveyed countries expect payroll increases in the upcoming quarter. The hiring outlook is stronger on a quarter-over-quarter basis in 32 of those countries, while weaker on a year-over-year basis in 33 locations. This is in line with the economic slowdown caused by COVID-19 and the gradual return to a stronger marketplace. Here are some highlights from each of the geographic areas studied as part of the survey:
- Ten countries in North, Central, and South America participated in the survey. Stronger hiring patterns are expected in all ten countries compared to the previous quarter.
- The United States remains the strongest labor market in the region. All twelve market sectors anticipate payroll increases. Leisure and hospitality, decimated by the pandemic, is expected to lead the way in hiring. Manufacturing gains are also expected.
- In Mexico, employers forecast increased hiring in all sectors, buoyed by the services, commerce, and manufacturing and construction sectors.
- China, the largest employer in the region, reports stable hiring compared to both the previous quarter and the previous year. The manufacturing sector is expected to return to pre-pandemic levels of hiring in the upcoming quarter.
- Australian employers report hiring optimism equal to that of a year ago, marking a significant gain over the prior quarter. The hiring rebound covers all industry and geographic sectors.
- Hiring sentiment in Japan is at its weakest levels in a decade, particularly in the wholesale & retail trade sector
- Modest payroll increases are expected across Germany and Italy on a quarter-over-quarter basis. In Italy, a nice rebound in the restaurants and hotels sector is anticipated. German employers report increases in finance and business services, manufacturing, and wholesale and retail trade.
- The UK reports a third consecutive negative forecast due to continued weakness in both hotels and retail and manufacturing and construction.
- Strong hiring gains are expected in both Greece and Turkey, particularly in the manufacturing and construction sectors.
What trends are you noticing in your geography or niche? Please add a comment below!